The RESPONSE ABILITY Project and Phired Up Productions collaborated to produce a groundbreaking event in Chicago (June 3-6, 2012) called BE THE PERSON | 2012. This inaugural event was no regular "conference," by far. Around 70 participants gathered at Loyola University to not just talk about becoming leaders, change agents, and Every|Day Heroes, but to actually learn by doing.
While Loyola served as a beautiful host location, the real classroom was the streets of Chicago. Over 1/2 of the event took place on sidewalks, on the "El" train, around major landmarks and amongst tourists, on the gorgeous shores of Lake Michigan, and in real interactions with the people of The Windy City. The stated objectives of the event, designed for students and professionals involved with college campuses, were as follows:
After a powerful combination of Social Excellence and Every|Day Hero focused learning is experienced, participants will leave BE THE PERSON | 2012…
- Emotionally shocked and reacquainted with their true personal purpose and values.
- With the social awareness, self-confidence, and personal power to intervene in problem situations and be an Every|Day Hero.
- With a written plan to deeply matter to the world through social engagement, connection and organization.
- Prepared to lead revolutionary change in their communities.
These objectives were met and thoroughly exceeded because of the courage, engagement, and creativity of the participants who very much created their own learning experience. Leaving BE THE PERSON | 2012, participants were in tune with their own journey to find their life's cause and to use that cause to create real change. Participants didn't just learn and plan, they ACTED upon their cause and got started with the hard work of changing the world.
Some highlights of the 2012 event included:
- Level II RESPONSE ABILITY Facilitator Certification led by Drs. Alan and Gran Berkowitz
- A "Flash Mob of Kindness" to feel the power of generosity
- A "Social Excellence Journey" through the city of Chicago via train (stopping at Wrigley Field, The Bean, The Watertower, DePaul University, and more)
- A panel of "Social Excellence Superheroes" from organizations that are changing the world
- Mindfulness meditation on the shores of Lake Michigan
- A $5 Generosity challenge ("Here's $5. Use it to create a story with new friends. See you in 2 hours.")
- "Into The Streets" opening challenge the minute participants arrived
- Nightly bedtime stories that taught important lessons
- A "flipped" classroom with lessons taught via text and video
See a full album of pictures from BE THE PERSON | 2012 by clicking here.
See the powerful closing video used at the event exclusively by clicking here.
View the inspiring videos featuring the participants of BE THE PERSON by clicking here.
Express interest in attending BE THE PERSON | 2013 by clicking here.