Best Metal Materials For Residential Roofing
As we all know, it is incomplete without a roof when it comes to constructing a house. And when it comes to roofing, you must choose th best material for your house to protect it from damage, corrosion, harsh, harsh weather conditions, etc.
One cannot buy a roofing material blindly as you have to check certain parameters. Here we have created a guide fr you that contains all the valuable information on common roofing metals and why you should buy one, and why not.
Best Metal Roofing Materials
Some of the best steel or metal roofing materials are as under:
Copper is considered one of the best roofing materials as it is a soft and reliable metal. It is the most long-lasting roofing metal, and it even lasts over 200 years in some cases. It is usually used in
- Church building
- Large architectural buildings
Pros Of Copper Roofing:
Here are some benefits of installing copper roofing and why it is preferred:
- It is durable and lasts for hundreds of years
- Copper is a lightweight metal suitable for installing copper roofing. It makes it easier for the workers to work with copper roofing, and also, it does not create any stress on your house and does not damage it at all.
- Moreover, copper roofings are energy0saving, which makes you pay fewer bills.
- Copper, as a metal, looks aesthetic on your roof and adds to the beauty of your house or any other building you install to. It is the other major reason why people prefer installing copper roofing over other materials to make their homes look more beautiful from the outside.
Cons Of Copper Roofing:
Where copper material has several advantages, it also has some cons:
- It is an expensive metal for roofing, so you have to spend a handsome amount on your roofing.
- Thus, copper reacts with oxygen, which produces a yellowish coating called patina and looks ugly on your roof.
- Copper can expand the fluctuating temperature, but it can be avoided using shingles.
Aluminum is also a lightweight metal in the market and durable as well. Aluminum also has a greater strength to weight ratio when compared to other metals used for roofing purposes. It means that aluminum provides more or the same strength and is a lightweight metal as harder ones that are difficult to install, so if you choose aluminum as a roofing material.
Pros Of Aluminium:
- Aluminum is highly malleable
- It is a lightweight metal
- Easy to install
- It Provides great strength, the same as that of harder metals.
- It prevents your roof from being corrupted.
Cons of Aluminum Roofing
- Roofing sheets can be noisy
People prefer steel as a roofing material because it is less expensive than other metals. Galvanized, Galvalume, and stone-coated steel are the three main types of steel used as roofing material. The galvalume type is layered with aluminum, preventing corrosion from taking place. Another plus point of steel roofing is that it has a wide variety of colors to be chosen from.
Pros Of Steel Roofing:
Here is why people choose steel for their homes:
- It is the most inexpensive metal as compared to other metals.
- It comes in various colors that you can choose.
- It is recyclable and easily accessible.
Cons Of Steel:
- It has one disadvantage it lives less long than other roofing metals.
- Corrosion can take place on the steel roofing.
When rolled still is layered with tin, it is called tin roofing, which is chemically bonded to steel. That is why tin roofing is more durable and resistant. Tin became people's favorite because it is also a lightweight metal like aluminum and super easy to install.
Pros Of Tin:
- Easy to Install
Cons Of Tin Roofing:
The con of tin roofing is that aluminum has replaced tin, and it is no longer available in the market because nobody prefers using it nowadays. That is why now aluminum roofings are preferred over the tin ones.
Zinc roofing is the same as that of copper, and it also looks attractive and adds to the beauty of your house. Pre-painted zinc roofs are used to look beautiful until they produce that yellowish covering over the roofing. Zinc roofing is popular and not in other countries due to its high prices.
Pros and Cons Of Zinc:
- Zinc roofing is long-lasting and can last up to 80-100 years.
- Zinc is Corrosion-resistant
And the disadvantages of using zinc metal as a roofing material that it is:
- Not easily available in the market
- Chalking of zinc.
Cons of zinc roofing
- An expensive roofing material
- Both installation and maintenance are expensive
Roofs are the most important components of every house, and a house is incomplete without a roof, and one has to choose the roofing material wisely. Zinc, copper, steel, aluminum, and copper are the most common and reliable roofing metals and all of these come up with some pros and cons. By reading this article, we hope you have learned about these metals and which suits your house the best.
Residential Roofer Foreman with 20 years of experience. A roof is the protective barrier between your house and the outside world. You want to make sure it's properly cared for to prevent leaks and other problems. I lead my crew in constructing new roofs and providing roof repairs. We're here to help whether your problem is leaky roofs or contaminated roofs. Let us repair your roof to prevent leaks and other costly problems.